Friday, May 6, 2011

The Hunger Games and Thor

I have been a bit busy working on my latest book so I haven't blogged as much as I generally like.  In an effort to catch up on some of the things I have been wanting to talk about I am just going to combine them here.  Before I get started, you may ask what The Hunger Games and Thor could possibly have in common?  Well, I'm going for the long stretch and saying the Hemsworth brothers (Chris is staring in Thor and Liam is cast to play Gale in The Hunger Games).  In reality, what they have in common is that I have just finished reading the series and watching Thor.  I do love my entertainment!


I have already blogged about The Hunger Games (the book).  I would like to add the rest of the series too.  This series was collectively the best piece of YA fiction I have read in a long time!  After reading the last book in the series I fell asleep thinking of Katniss Everdeen and the world in which she lived.  These books and the fantastic characters permeated my dreams for days.  I am putting the books on my children's must read list, especially before the movies come out.  A bit about the books:



The United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 13 districts. In the early days of Panem District 13 rebelled and was obliterated.  In order to keep the remaining 12 districts from fighting the rule of the Capital The Hunger Games are held each year as a reminder to the people of Panem about what rebellion costs them.  Each year, one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 are chosen from each district by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. The televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced into an arena where they must fight to the death, while all the citizens of Panem are required to watch. Katniss Everdeen becomes the District 12 tribute for the 74th Hunger Games when her younger sister, Prim, is selected in the lottery and she volunteers to take her place.

"The rules of the Hunger Games are simple. In punishment for the uprising, each of the twelve districts must provide one girl and one boy, called tributes, to participate. The twenty-four tributes will be imprisoned in a vast outdoor arena that could hold anything from a burning desert to a frozen wasteland. Over a period of several weeks, the competitors must fight to the death. The last tribute standing wins."


“District Twelve. Where you can starve to death in safety,”


Bottom line:  If you haven't read the series yet, you need to!





THOR - The Movie

I took my three youngest children to see Thor in 3D.  This was a fantastic
popcorn movie.  The images were absolutely stunning and I am not just
referring to Chris Hemsworth's shirtless body.  Stan Lee, as always, is 
amazing!  Although his cameo was a quick one he was able to steal the
 show just a little bit! 

I figure for a movie like Thor, a male opinion was needed though so I
asked my eldest son what he thought of the movie and he had this to say:

"It was good."  When I asked what was good about it, he simply stated,

"all of it!"

I guess that about sums it up.  If you like action, adventure, a little budding
romance, and more action - then this is the perfect movie for you and a 
great start to a very promising summer movie season!


No comments:

Post a Comment